- Wear clothes that make you feel comfortable and reflect your personality.
- Bring multiple outfits.
- Bring a variety of outfits - both causal and formal.
- Coordinate your outfit from head to toe.
- Avoid large prints, stripes, busy patterns and bright colors - these overwhelm and create distractions in your portrait.
- A black shirt or top is always a good choice.
- Bring appropriate shoes, socks and a belt for each outfit.
- Be sure the clothes you select fit properly, especially shirt collars.
- Dark clothes will help to make you look thin.
- Traditional clothing styles will better stand the test of time.
- Earth tones are best for outdoor portraits.
- Bring all clothes on hangers. Be sure clothes are not wrinkled.
- Wear your hair in your normal style.
- Do not change your hairstyle in the days before your portrait session.
- If you want to get a haircut, schedule it one week before your portrait session.
- A fresh shave is important for men. Neatly trim beard or mustache.
- Bring your hair care/styling products.
- Minor blemishes and scars can be removed by retouching.
- Avoid sunburn and tan lines.
- Girls keep make-up simple and natural.
- Avoid makeup with sparkles. You can bring your makeup to the session.
- Your nails will show in some portraits. Be sure fingernails and toenails are polished and not chipped.
- Keep jewelry simple and to a minimum.
- Bring appropriate jewelry for each outfit.
Props are recommended. Bring props that are a part of your life and personality. For example:
- Musical Instrument
- Leather Jacket
- Letter Jacket
- Sports Uniform/Jersey
- Sports Equipment (lacrosse stick, bat, football, etc.)
- Stuffed Animals
- Hobby Items
- Pets (Pets are welcome, but please call in advance. Bring a leash and toys/treats to keep their attention.)